Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ingrate!

Miltonista has been trying to bone up on Spenser scholarship*. (Fret not, reader--I'll never become a Spenserista, no matter how hard I try. I just don't think that way.) I've been learning a good bit, but this is by far my favorite snippet of information, from the Acknowledgements page of Andrew Hadfield's Spenser's Irish Experience:

This book was originally conceived as a D. Phil thesis at the University of Ulster, Coleraine, supervised by Professor Robert Welch, 'a loose, baggy, monster' . . . . 

Now that's just rude.**

- - - 

* - I have assiduously avoided quoting that thing Milton says about Spenser vis-a-vis Aquinas and Scotus.

** - Yes, yes, if you keep reading the sentence you learn that Hadfield is talking about his thesis, not Welch. And I'm sure this has been pointed out to him since.

2 comments:

moria said...

Such peculiar, humorous, referential eruptions are one of A.H.'s great charms.

Don't miss out on Benedict Robinson's newish book, which has a lovely chapter on Book 1 of the FQ useful for exploring Spenser beyond the confines of Britain.

(Love the blog!)

miltonista said...

Hey, thanks, Moria. I haven't had the chance to read B. R.'s book, but I've been meaning to check it out.

God, I guess my tombstone should read, "He meant to check it out but got distracted by, you know, all that shit on the internet."